Yamaha XVS1300 – Review and Pictures

Home Forums Jap stuff Yamaha XVS1300 – Review and Pictures

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Radar

For many years the Japanese bike factories have strived to produce big V twin powered cruiser bikes with the express aim of nibbling away at the dominance that Harley Davidson have long enjoyed in this sector.

The XVS1300 is the latest in this line to have a crack at the market from Yamaha and with its rakish low rider lines and kicked out front forks, it certainly looks the part. The somewhat cumbersome standard exhaust system undermines the look a little: One wag likened them to a huge leaf blower, but I sense the heavy hand of regulation for noise and emissions here. I am sure aftermarket options that are both better looking and somewhat fruiter sounding will quickly become available.

40010506471_ee5c5af7be.jpg
    Impressive old bus and the XVS is OK too…

26138011378_c366d58240.jpg
    The ‘leaf-blower’ exhaust!

On a more positive note the big V twin is beautifully finished and neat detailing abounds: The clocks are a good example with a simple, quality feel and a business like clarity.

40010529541_9c6fee9ee3.jpg

I have to say that the bike rides beautifully too, the big 1300 pulls well and you might expect the motor is both grunty and responsive on the throttle. Just that hushed exhaust spoils things a little. The bike isn’t fast like a sports bike, why would it be? However it can be persuaded to progress smartly enough to put a smile on your face…good enough for me!

For a bike of this style I was surprised how well it cornered too. The big, long, kicked out forks look cool, bit I was concerned they would make the bike unwieldy, especially in tighter corners.  On open sweeping bends the Yam was fun to ride and the only issue was at T junctions where you had to plan your arc a little more carefully than usual.

I rode the XVS only a few days after sampling a 1585 Harley, so it was interesting to compare the two. In many, many ways the Yamaha is the better machine: Smooth, well made, but you can’t escape the fact it is not the real thing. It is in a fact a ‘Tribute band’. Fred Zeppelin rather than Led Zeppelin, dam good but not the real deal.

26138028958_e0f7f14766.jpg

So fair play Yamaha, you have made a great bike, but still a homage rather than the original

Harley review here:

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/harley-davidson-1585-dyna-street-bob-review-and-pictures/

ses310

You’ll end up with something like this one day

imperialdata
    Keymaster

So fair play Yamaha, you have made a great bike, but still a homage rather than the original

Is the original better in any aspect though apart from character? Seems the Yam does everything the HD does and slightly better.

Radar

I couldn’t have one as my only bike, but I see the appeal of the cruiser type stuff more than I used to

Radar

Is the original better in any aspect though apart from character? Seems the Yam does everything the HD does and slightly better.

The Harley, in Street Bob guise is better looking. The more crap they put on a Hog the worse they look in my opinion.

Yes the Yamaha is better in many ways, but somehow the HD is more authentic, very hard to quantify why though as your comments highlight

ses310

I couldn’t have one as my only bike, but I see the appeal of the cruiser type stuff more than I used to

That’ll be your age  :P

Radar

That’ll be your age  :P

Sad, but probably true… ::) :(

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.